Sunday 12 April 2015

Ama, decks and a start to fibre glassing


It's been a while since I wrote anything, work has slowed down due to family commitments but I have managed to finish most of the wood work (just the beams and foils to go). Here are the two parts of the ama (float), with the edges sealed with epoxy - it's amazing how much soaks into the end grain of this plywood.

I've sealed the inside the watertight compartments with a layer of epoxy, after an enquiry on ProaForum was answered by the designer suggesting this method. I had delayed fitting the decks because I wasn't sure what to do and didn't want them to rot as badly as our old Miracle did. Now the decks and seats are on, it looks a lot more like a boat.
Here's another step I had been delaying - my first attempt at covering ply with glass cloth and epoxy. It wasn't as nearly bad as I had expected, the cloth stuck easily to the wood, didn't pull out of shape and I didn't have much trouble with air bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment